Welcome to Class 89 of “The Ramp” to the Highway of Success course for young women. I am Daniel Whyte III, president of Gospel Light Society, working in partnership with the Martin Luther King Senior Institute for Young Men & Young Women. The Institute aims to honor the legacy of Martin Luther King Sr., commonly referred to as “Daddy King”, whom God used to raise the great leader, Martin Luther King Jr. Our purpose is to guide young men and young women, and help them get on the path to becoming kings and queens for the glory of God.
I am your instructor for this course and the author of the ESSENCE Magazine bestselling book “Letters to Young Black Men” and the national bestselling book “Letters to Young Black Women.” My wife, Meriqua Whyte, and my eldest daughter, Daniella Whyte, co-authored “Letters to Young Black Women” with me. My daughter (who has two bachelor’s degrees in psychology and religion and a master’s degree in human services counseling—executive leadership and a second master’s degree in developmental psychology) and her mother, developed the Study Guide. We are using Letters to Young Black Women and its study guide to guide you through this course. This course is for all young women, but especially for young black women and young women of color who oftentimes face disadvantages that others do not. The goal of this class is to help you operate from a position of strength and power based upon the Word of God so you can be victorious in life. My prayer is that this class will empower you to win against your enemies: the devil, sorry men, and even yourself.
Today, we will continue our study, “HOW TO THINK LIKE A MAN YET BE ALL WOMAN” (Letter Thirty-One).
— First, Let’s Pray —
Allow me to begin with a quote from Dolly Parton. She said: “You know, I look like a woman but I think like a man. And in this world of business, that has helped me a lot. Because by the time they think that I don’t know what’s goin’ on, I then got the money and am gone.”
Now, please pull out your text and your digital study guide or follow along on the screen. First, I will read a portion of the corresponding letter from the book, Letters to Young Black Women. Then we will proceed with this lesson:
Dear Daughters and YBW:
Years ago, long before you were born, James Brown sang a song entitled “It’s A Man’s World”. Thankfully, it is not a man’s world. Rather, it is God’s world, and men, women, and children have their part to play in it. Women are just as important as men, but they do have their role to play in God’s world. James Brown was a little bit off, but not too far off.
Contrary to what the feminists of our society would tell you, God did put men on earth to be leaders, and to fulfill their role as protectors and providers. The women that men like to be around the most are those dear women who have the uncanny ability to think like a man, yet be all woman. These women have the special ability to appreciate a man as he is, without trying to change that man to be more like them. They can relish in a man’s world without feeling slighted or ignored.
Here are some of the traits that I have seen in this kind of woman:
1. This special woman knows that one of the greatest needs of a man is respect, and she is wise enough to know that if she gives him that respect, she gets the things that she wants such as: love, affection, attention, and anything else.
2. This special woman knows how to come near her husband and snuggle with him while he is watching the Super Bowl game, be quiet, enjoy it, and have all of the food and drinks ready. She knows how to get her pleasure by just being with him. She is also feminine enough to know when to leave the room when there are a bunch of guys visiting to watch the game as well, and she doesn’t get an attitude about it. She enjoys being a woman, and she wants her man to be a man.
3. This special woman understands that men think in a straightforward manner, and she sees this as a gift from God to solve problems quicker, and she doesn’t get offended
by it. She, therefore, provides information to her husband about problems, bills, etc., in a straightforward, orderly fashion, the way he wants to receive it and not the way she naturally wants to give it.
4. This special woman knows that men like for you to express your feelings, desires, and needs in a concrete, straightforward, and truthful manner instead of him being forced to try to guess and figure out what you want or need. Dear sister, no matter how much you want your knight in shining armor to be able to know everything there is about you, he is not a mind reader. You must communicate and tell him what you want and what you like.
5. This special woman knows that men desire sex more than women do, and she takes good care of that business. So instead of you, dear sister, being sickened by this thought, prepare yourself to satisfy your husband’s needs in this area. If you are not really in the mood, or even if you don’t get much physical satisfaction from the episode, your satisfaction comes from satisfying him. You say, sometimes when he is in the mood, I suddenly get a headache. I say, take an aspirin and keep moving. Don’t play games in this area. There has been many a sister who has lost a good man to another woman who knew how to take care of him in this area.
I can go on and on. Men love women who can think like them, while at the same time be all woman because to some degree, it is a man’s world — but without you, it wouldn’t be any fun.
P.T. (Power Thoughts):
“Let the wife make the husband glad to come home, and let him make her sorry to see him leave.” —Martin Luther
“If there is such a thing as a good marriage, it is because it resembles friendship rather than love.” —Michel Eyquem de Montaigne
BIBLE GEM: “Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.” —I Corinthians 7:3
TALK TO GOD: Holy Father, Give me the ability to understand how a man thinks, but be all woman for your glory. In Jesus’ precious name. Amen.
BOOK: The Power of Being a Woman: Mastering the Art of Femininity, by Michelle McKinney Hammond
CHECK IT OUT: http://www.biblicalwomanhoodonline.org
In Matthew 10:16, Jesus tells the twelve disciples to be wise as serpents and harmless as doves as He sends them out into the world to spread the Gospel. This speaks to the necessity of cunning and innocence while operating in sinful surroundings. While His command may have been directed to believers in a different context, similarly, as a young woman trying to survive and thrive in the evil world in which we live, learning to “think like a man” in some capacity is essentially all about being wise and outsmarting people (particularly unscrupulous men) who only want to use you and not give you what you need or deserve in return. This fatherly advice to “think like a man” is not about manipulation or trying to get you to be something or someone you were not created to be. Instead, thinking like a man can enable you to get ahead in life without being messed over and get more of what you want–the good stuff–out of life with greater success. It is like unlocking an opponent’s gameplan. Based on the chapter text, jot down a few strategies you have learned for how to win with men and in the world in general while staying true to yourself.
In the next class, we will begin our study, “How to Win at Relationships (and Never Get Hurt).”
Now, like many of you, I grew up in a very religious and church-going family, and during that time, I often heard the phrase “Being Saved.” Now, much of what church people said “being saved” was back then, especially in my community, is wrong according to the Bible. I wrote an article about it titled “On ‘Being Saved’ in Black America” which is available for you to read free of charge on our website, gospellightsociety.com. Right now, I want to share with you very briefly what the Bible says “being saved” really is.
First, understand that you need to be saved because you are a sinner. Romans 3:23 says, “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.”
Second, understand that a horrible punishment — eternal Hell — awaits those who are not saved. In Matthew 25:41, Jesus Christ said that God will say to those who are not saved, “depart from me ye cursed into everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels.”
Third, realize that God loves you very much and wants to save you from Hell. John 3:16 says, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” If you want to be saved from Hell and be guaranteed a home in Heaven, simply believe in Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose from the dead for your sins, and then call upon Him in prayer and ask Him to save your soul. And believe me, He will.
Romans 10:9-13 says, “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” That is the most important decision you will ever make.
God bless you and keep you until we meet for our next class.